Welcome to Year 2SB
Teacher: Mrs Bennett.
Teaching Assistant: Mr McGee.
Here is some key information for Year 2;
- PE will take place on a Wednesday and pupils are required to come to school wearing the St Anne’s PE kit.
- Spellings and adventurous vocabulary will be sent home home every Friday with a spelling test taking place the following Friday.
- This years homework can be accessed using the existing online home learning platforms.
- Reading books will be sent out every Wednesday to be kept until the following Monday. Please read with your child as much as possible, re-reading books is an excellent opportunity for children to develop their fluency and word recognition.
- We encourage all children to bring in their own water bottle into school every day.
- The school day will start at 8:45am and will end at 3:10pm. Both year 2 classes will enter and exit on the back yard of the school (pencil yard).
Year 2 Curriculum;
Please see the link below for the curriculum overview for Year 2. This overviews includes all the topics covered in the Autumn, Spring and Summer terms.
Information for Online Learning Platforms;
- Your child is learning to read and write through developing their phonic knowledge and skills. You can learn more about phonics and how you can promote your child’s literacy by following the link to our phonics webpage: https://st-anne-stanley-school.co.uk/learning/curriculum/phonics/
- Your child is registered to use TT Rockstars – an online fun resource, which will support with learning their Times Tables. Please encourage your child to access this daily: https://ttrockstars.com/
- Your child is registered to use MyMaths, an online platform where you will find tasks and activities that support your child’s learning of mathematics. Please follow the link at: https://www.mymaths.co.uk/
- You can support your child in their learning across the curriculum through accessing activities on Education City. Please click on the link below and log on using your ‘City Pass’.
Home Learning Information;
Click on the link below for our home learning timetable which includes suggested times and online resources to support your child’s learning during a covid-related absence. During this time, you will also receive an email signposting you to specific resources that link with our current curriculum including videos teaching phonics and maths.
Please encourage your child to read a few pages of their reading book every night.
We love to read in our school and believe ‘The more you read, the more things you will know. The more that you learn, the more places you will go’
That is the way the mind grows
Not with a test, but a tale…
For information about how we teach Phonics in school and how you can support your child at home please Click here for the Phonics Page
Keep checking the Year 2 twitter account for more activities we have been up to this term
In English we have been reading the book Silly Billy by Anthony Browne. We have done lots of fun activities around this book including, sequencing, letter writing, hot seating and drama. We even made our own worry dolls!
In ICT lessons we have enjoyed learning ‘What is a computer’. We have had lessons on the IPads and in the ICT suite.
We have been lucky enough to enjoy gymnastics lessons this term with a professional gymnastics trainer from the Beth Twedle Academy!!
We have enjoyed listening to, and talking about Bible stories. We have looked at our class Bibles and watched some lovely videos based on different Bible stories. We are also working hard to learn the Lords Prayer.
We have been learning how to use a variety of apparatus in maths lessons. This will help support our learning and help make us become more independent workers.
We have had lots off un and learnt so many different skills in P.E! We have enjoyed playing lots of outdoor games, working on our throwing and catching and ball skills.
In music with Mr Lucas, we have been exploring long and short sounds (duration) and exploring pitch.
We having been reading a wonderful book in English lessons called ‘Seasons Come Seasons Go – Tree’ by Britta Teckentrup. We have learnt a lot about seasons and weather which links in with our current Geography topic. We have also been working really hard on our grammar skills. We enjoy singing and dancing along to the ‘Grammar Rules’ song on bbc supermovers.
We have been lucky enough to enjoy P.E lessons both inside and outside this term. We have been working on developing our fitness skills and have learnt to use lots of apparatus.
In music this term we have been exploring dynamics with Mr Lucas. We have learnt lots of new vocabulary.
We have really enjoyed our PSHEe topic ‘feelings and emotions’. It has lead to some wonderful discussions. We have identified people who can help us and techniques we could you to help us calm down. We have also discussed the importance of happiness in our lives and things that make us happy!!!
Our R.E topic is ‘Jesus Friend to Everyone’. We have particular enjoyed learning and talking about the miracles of Jesus. This has led to some wonderful, thoughtful pieces of work produced. We have listened to stories from the bible and have watched short videos clips.
We have had so much fun in science lessons! We have been learning about materials and their properties. We have played fun games and quizzes and even designed a desk for Mrs Bennett!
We have been learning how to multiply and divide in maths lessons. We know which resources will help and support us and have enjoyed using them. We also really enjoyed celebrating Number Day on 4th February.
We are continuing to enjoy our interesting ICT lessons with Mr Moffatt or Mrs Bennett. We have had some lessons on the computers in the ICT suits and some lessons on the Ipads. We have been working on ‘scratch junior’ and coding.
We are really enjoying our Geography topic ‘Daily Weather and Seasons’. We have learnt what weather symbols mean and have tracked the weather in Liverpool over a week. We have also recapped on the continents and oceans of the world and have learnt some fun songs!!! As always our knowledge organisers have helped to learn and remember new vocabulary.
Children’s Mental Health Week 7th Feb – 13th Feb 2022
What a great start to our Summer Term!
In our English lessons we are reading a fantastic book titled ‘Little Red Reading Hood’ by Lucy Rowland. This is an inspiring take on the classic fairy tale, Little Red Riding Hood. We have had so many interesting lessons base around this text including lots of Drama and Hot Seating!
In R.E lessons we have been discussing special places and why the church is a special place for Christians. We have thought about our own special places and have looked at the special places of other faiths. Our school value is ‘Confidence’. In our collective worship times we have been discussing ways we can build up each others confidence.
We have really enjoyed our History topic ‘The Stone Age’. We were lucky enough to have a visit from a local historian Dr John Hill. He gave us so much information about the Stone Age and had some fantastic artefacts with him which we were allowed to hold. It was very inspirational and we learnt so much from him.
We had a great visit from a local artist Laura. We learnt how to draw animals and how to create collage. It was such a fun morning and we all produced fantastic art work!